This report got me pondering upon something of which I am guilty; that is using your phone in the toilet.
I have not seen anything written about this matter. However, it seems to me that this is an issue which has big implications for the spread of germs.
Subsequent to using the toilet people can handle their phone before the washing of hands. The phone then becomes the carrier of many germs. those germs stay because although hands are washed phones are not washed.
I have to plead guilty to this phenomenon and my casual observation is that it is quite a common happening among the young, in particular.
I don’t know what the answer to this is. Maybe:
- Ban phones from toilets
- Make wipes available in toilets for the wiping of phones.
Hygiene ratings are now placed on all kinds of premises. I wonder in making these assessments whether the amount of germs on mobile phones is ever investigated.
Over the past couple of months (since the end of August) I have sought to change my diet in order to benefit my mental and emotional health, I generally had quite a bad summer in these respects. So I have sought to eat the following foods; see here for further information
- Leafy greens
I have also sought to avoid the following foods; see here and here for further information:
- Processed foods
- Fruit juices
- Breads / Cakes / Biscuits
I have had more than two months without taking anti-depressants which is the longest period since I first started taking them in October 2002. I have certainly felt much better in my mental and emotional health. I do not know what the future holds; tomorrow i could be in mental / emotional free-fall. However, I have certainly noticed a beneficial change thus far.
Well, it’s May 1st today and so I feel I can say that the 2017/8 winter can be deemed to be over, although yesterday was pretty cold. So, in the goodness of the LORD, I have had my best winter for years in terms of avoiding cold/flu. I had problem with sore throat in February, but that was probably connected with wisdom tooth issues.
It may well be that my better health has resulted from what I have consumed to aid my health. Some of the stuff that I have taken has been as a result of my tooth problems; I referred to those here. So a beneficial consequence has been to prevent cold/flu. So here’s what I have taken:
- Coconut oil (a teaspoon most days).
- Clove of garlic most days.
- Cube of Parmesan cheese most days. (Someone said that if you get a cold / flu in a certain Itailian village they immediately get you to take some Parmesan, but that is just hearsay)
- Vitamin C chewable tablets.
- Echinacea capsules.
- Turmeric (either a capsule or a teaspoon).
- Manuka Honey – 20+ (a teaspoon most days).
Of course you may next hear of me striken by cold / flu or whatever. But just thought I would muse upon this.
January is still with us and demand for the services of Accident and Emergency (A & E) in our hospitals continues as we still journey through the winter months. One of the problems is surely that so many people go to A and E too easily.
As a boy I don’t remember having any knowledge that there was a hospital A & E facility. I think the first time I went was when I was about 18 with a knee injury. The culture now is that A & E is for the slightest ailment. So the whole concept of it being “Accident and Emergency” seems to have gone by the way. It seems to be for any ailment.
The thought of waiting for the Doctors to be open for lesser ailments to be treated seems to have passed. Of course the Doctors are very busy and it can take a long time to get an appointment, but the thinking just seems so different
Moreover, it sometimes amazes me what people go to the Doctors or A & E for. If you have a fever I would not normally think of going anywhere other than my home and getting through it until it passes. If it is a high fever for a long time that is different.
It seems that many born outside the UK see things differently and they expect to go to “the medical people” if anything is wrong .
And then the hospitals are loath to be found negligent to the people coming to the, A & E and so they want to give people appropriate attention. That means that people who should be turned away are given attention which take attention from others.
And then with the general increase in population in the UK it all puts pressure on A & E.
No wonder we have a system which is under strain.
I am presently in the midst of tooth pain. And it is not pleasant! So what am I to learn?
- We are not immune from the sufferings that are common to mankind. The salvation of God brings eternal blessings now, but in this life we suffer.
- To ponder on the issue of pain. How much was it for Him who bore our sins on the cross to have suffered such pain. I enter into it perhaps in such a small way.
- All of my life must be enfolded within the purposes of the Lord. He is interested in me. He is interested in my suffering.
- That in all of my little suffering I would not sin against the Lord.
- I need His grace in all aspects of my life.
- Hope is such an important ingredient of life. When the pain comes, the hope that there will be relief is prevalent. And there will I trust under the good-hand of the medical practitioners be relief. If not, through the grace of Christ I have the promise of being part of the new creation where He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death” or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’ (Rev. 21:4). No more pain; amazing and all achieved by Jesus my Lord.
- A further experience of the suffering in this world should give me a greater yearning for that day when glory (His glory) dawns.
- Hell is a terrible place because it is hopeless. As I write my soul recoils at the thought of pain with no thought of relief because there is no potential for relief. That is hell; just endless pain and suffering; oh how terrible. If you read this and you are not a Christian please run to Christ and make sure you never go to that gruesome place.
- The NHS can be so cumbersome. I have been referred to the hospital because the dentist feels it is too complex for him to remove my wisdom tooth. But even though it is marked “urgent” they say it will take several weeks.
- Make sure you look after your teeth. Particularly if you are young take time to clean your teeth properly. Remember, once your baby teeth go you only get one set.
This is the “Daxa Brew”. It so named because we got the recipe from Daxa who I used to work with.
Basically it is to be consumed to fight against colds, flu, sore throats, coughs, chest infections; all that type of stuff.
The ingredients for the brew are as follows:-
- 1½ pints of water
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 3/4 peppercorns
- 3/4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon of dried ginger
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated
- Jaggery (raw cane sugar) if you have it or honey to taste
Just add all of the above to the water and boil for about 20 mins, strain and drink warm but is more effective if drunk hot.
I would add that I improvise and adapt to produce the brew. So I do not stick exactly to the recipe as stated
When consumed hot it gives a beautiful warming feeling inside. And as a side-benefit when the brew is in the brewing stage it gives a beautiful cinnamon aroma throughout the house.
So the next time you are afflicted with colds and all that lurgy then go try this!
The primary message of our culture focuses on human beings realising who they are and being given free-reign to express that. One of the consequences of this rationale is that people are encouraged to indulge their sexual appetites freely, just so long as non-one else gets hurt. The thought of saving sex for marriage is mocked.
However, the biblical way, and the thereby godly way, is for a sexual relationship to only be enjoyed within marriage. Many would see this as the way of bondage after all freedom is found in doing what you want when you want with whoever you want. I would strongly disagree with this though.
Freedom is found when a boy or girl determine at a young age that they will not give their bodies to another person before marriage. Freedom is found in the keeping of that vow. Why do I say this? I say this because as a result of making that commitment you are saved from all the mind disturbing and heart wrenching deliberations revolving around the dilemma of ‘should I do it now with this person?’
Moreover, you are saved from all the destabilisation that is caused by premarital sexual sin. Paul expresses it Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body (1 Cor. 6:18). Something happens to us when we engage sexually with someone and this is terribly harmful to our beings when it is outside the marriage bond. The scientific explanation of this focuses on Oxytocin and is fully explained here.
Let us finally be clear fornication is destructive and is against the call of God for His people. To indulge in it is terrible thing. So right now if you are unmarried resolve to flee fornication.
Be sure that bottomless fizzy drinks will inevitably lead to digestion problems if you have such with a meal. A recent visit to Burger King convinced me of this. I don’t think it is (or was) the burgers which cause the problem, but the fact that you are congealing all the fat with ice-cold drinks. And the inevitable consequences ensue.
In contrast, if you have a hot drink with meal digestion is enhanced. Hence, it is interesting how the Chinese have Chinese tea with their meals to make digestion easier.
Here is a piece you may find to be of interest.
It would be my tentative assertion that many illnesses are caused by a lack of hydration. This is particularly so for those who are older. A deficiency in water intake leads to the body not functioning properly. As a result illnesses and infections are allowed to develop.
So here are some thoughts:
- Maintain a good supply of water intake.
- A little and often maintains hydration rather than large bursts over a short time.
- Not all drinks lead to hydration. Ordinary tea, for example, does not really hydrate. So best stick with water.
- As you get older make a priority of drinking plenty of water.