The righteous person may have many troubles (Ps. 34:19a) is the observation of David and leads us to ponder upon the afflictions that specifically attach themselves to those who believe in Christ unto righteousness. Someone mentioned to me how Christians suffer particularly in the mental and emotional realm because of the workings of the devil in this arena.
Satan is very clever in using the vulnerabilities of our minds to his nefarious ends. Certainly there have been times during my recent depression episode when I have felt the reality of being bombarded by all kinds of derailed and pernicious thoughts and attitudes. Notwithstanding the vagaries of my mental state that has led to this, I am persuaded that demonic forces love to exploit these weaknesses so as to assail us and bring us down. I have felt that.
Therefore, i need to be aware that there are some very real spiritual matters happening. And I need to take heed to Scriptures which can garrison me from attack and collapse through demonic activity:
- submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you (james 4:7)
- take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. (Eph. 6:14b)
- we demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ (2 Cor 10:5)
would be some of those scriptures.
Finally let us rejoice that
- we have a Saviour who prays in John 17:15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. Our beloved Lord Jesus is praying for us in all our mental and emotional vulnerabilities
- that Psalm 34:19 goes on to say but the Lord delivers him from them all.