What of prayer in preparing for preaching? I was struck recently at a seminar by Jonty Alcock of Globe Church, London mentioning about prayer being a continual thing in preparation.
It should not be that we prepare and then pray or pray and then prepare. Rather, praying should be a ongoing response to the engagement with God’s Word in preparation. As we study we pray:
- For our understanding of the Word.
- The suitable arranging of a message to declare to the people.
- The clarity of the presenting of the Word.
- The enabling of the Spirit in declaring the Word.
- People to be there to hear the Word.
- For individuals you know will be there
- For receiving of the Word and a responding to the Word.
- For this Word from the Lord to mould the people to effective godliness.
And as I pray the Word is being understood by myself and the message is being formed. Moreover I am being formed in the Word and with a heart for the people. So I am a messenger of the Word to bless His people.