If so, dare I say, look for a Psalm 23-like man. Yes! This is of course, the Lord who is on display. But if you are a woman with a heart for God you will be wanting a man who is modelled on your Lord. And if you are a man the greatest gift you can give to your wife is to be of a character likened to that of the Lord in Psalm 23. So as we think of that man he is to be:
- A Provider: He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters (v2). He will self-sacrifice so that his wife can have time with the Lord each day. He will make sure that they togther are receiving good teaching and enjoying good fellowship in a godly church.
- A Refresher: He refreshes my soul (v3a). He will not be a parasite, depriving his wife of spiritual energy. Rather through his desire to engage with the Lord, His Word, His Church and His Service he will be a refresher into the life and soul of his wife.
- A Guide: He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake (v3b). He will guide himself, his wife, his marriage and his family in right ways because he always wants to honour the Lord. So he will pray, study the Word and seek godly counsel over all decisions.
- Reliable: Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me (v4a). He will be there with his wife in times of danger, struggle and darkness. He can be trusted not to desert her in her time of need.
- Thoughtful: Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. He knows what is best at all times for his wife. He knows his wife so he knows when to be gentle and when to be firm because he cares for her.
- Selfless: You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies (v5a). He will be consistent in providing for his wife even when times are risky for them. He does not think of his own welfare before that of his wife. He wants her provided for.
- Blessing: You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows (v5b). He is determined that she will be blessed. He will do all in his power to make sure that she knows the favour of the Lord in her situation.
And such a wife will prosper and be content. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever (v6). She will not have fear of the future with such a godly man at her helm.
And young man if you wnat a good godly wife, humble yourself before God now and start living so as to seek to be a Psalm 23-like man.