I seem to have had several experiences over the last few years concerning certain men who have been hijacked concerning the faith. Here are the characteristics:
- They are male
- They are in their 20’s / 30’s
- They make profession of some conversion experience.
- They have a degree of zeal regarding serving God.
- They profess that they want to learn.
- None of them were with us at the beginning of their confession of Christ.
And what has happened? They have been hijacked concerning the faith. All of them to varying degrees are presently less than useful for the cause of Christ. In many ways it perplexes me. Why has this happened? I am left wondering whether we have failed them. We have labored to provide foundational teaching and to disciple them, but it has come to nothing. I find all the situations so grieving. Perhaps it was that they had all been set on the wrong course before they arrived. This mixed in with the ready accessibility of spiritual gunge online has conspired to their messy condition.
Possibly two scriptures are pertinent here:
- For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task? Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God (2 Cor. 2:15-17). This indicates how the church when operating effectively is a dividing place
- They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us. (1 John 2:19). This indicates that sometimes the leaving of the church is proof that these people were not of the church.
What ever it is, the Lord knows all. But I am much grieved.