Transport for London (TfL) yesterday announced that the announcements on the Underground will no longer be of the “Ladies and Gentlemen” form, but rather of the”everyone” form. The detail is here.
So let us think about all the people who would be happy with “Ladies and Gentlemen”:
- Heterosexual men and women? No problem there.
- Homosexual men and women. They seem still content to me known as ladies and gentlemen notwithstanding their sexual orientation.
- Transgender people. Well, a man who wants to be a woman would no doubt be happy to be called a woman (and vice versa).
This leaves an incredibly minute part of the population who through being intersex or coveting androgyny might prefer not to have “Ladies and Gentlemen”
So in the name of equality we have this change. All of which
- Is a further change in the atmosphere which lessens the true understanding of man and women in God’s sight. We need to remember that in Genesis 1: 27c we read male and female he created them as God’s statement concerning the origin of mankind. The loss of “Ladies and Gentleman” is a further erosion of the established facts of God’s order.
- Means that further money well have to be spent to make sure instruction manuals, signs, announcements and whatever conform to this pursuit of “equality”. Interesting how money can always be found for these things. That is even when there are continual constraints on public sector expenditure.