- External: The Pharisees and Scribes would not have allowed themselves to be buffeted by the crowd for fear of ceremonial contamination. Their focus was upon the washing of hands in order to get ceremonial cleansing. They honoured God with their lips, but their heart was far from God.
- Commandments of men: It was the tradition of the elders that determined their conduct. The doctrines of men were taught as the commandments of God. For the sake of their tradition they made the Word of God void
- Me for me: It was all about me for me. So they avoided the commandment to honour their father and mother by some religious sleight of hand. They devised this scheme to devote money to God, “corbanize” it, so they did not even have to help their closest relative.
- Internal: It is the matter of the heart which is the heart of the matter. Not what comes into the body causes the problems, but what comes out of our beings. The focus is upon having a heart close to God and in tune with God.
- Commandments of God: The commandments of God are the delight of the believer and obeying them is his goal and delight.
- Me for you: The Lord Jesus moved through His ministry blessing others. We see this when as many as touched Him were made well.
(For the detail behind these musings please see Matthew 14:34-15:10)