Here are some thoughts about why being late for church services is a bad thing.
- Christians are to be reliable people. We trust a reliable God and as His children should display the characteristics of our Father. Being late contradicts that.
- The entrance of those who are late can disturb those who are already there.
- There is something special about all the Lord’s people being together for the start of the service.
- Being early for a service gives opportunity to prepare yourself in church before the service.
- Being late conveys a message of casualness. You wouldn’t be late for work because that is important, but Church does not matter so I can turn up when I want / can.
- Others may be waiting for you to be there and might be distracted from worship by wondering if anything bad has happened to you.
And of course in saying what I have, I make these following comments as caveats:-
- Sometimes things happen to mitigate against you being there on time. We should not “beat ourselves up” about this.
- It is better to be late than not get there at all.