Perhaps you have so far ignored Noah, the film. But there is a salutary lesson in how Noah, the man was ignored in his day. Salutary because it is strikingly similar to what is happening today. In 2 Peter 2:5 we read of how God did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others. Further the LORD Himself tells us how “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.” Luke 17:26-27.
As we compare these scriptures let us observe the following:
- Noah was a preacher of righteousness.
- He built an ark which one day he entered.
- As Noah preached, people carried on their normal business. Their normal business was not necessarily sinful. It was, in fact, very mundane. But they kept on with it.
- The people took no notice of Noah. We often think that people were ridiculing Noah, but scripture does not seem to mention this. Rather they simply ignored Him.
- Their ignoring of him continued right up until the end of Noah’s preaching.
- One day the flood came and God destroyed all those who took no heed to Noah’ message.
- And only eight were saved into the ark.
And what are we to learn?
- It all sounds very similar to today. The scandal of today in the West, is not that preachers are mocked and attacked, but that they are ignored.
- There are many faithful declarers of righteousness who, following in Noah’s footsteps, are persistently ignored. There is nothing wrong with their preaching. We similarly never read of any failure in Noah’s preaching. So where was the problem? The problem was in the attitude of the people. To say they were listeners seems to overstate their attitude to Noah’s preaching. They simply saw no relevance in what Noah was preaching.
- How much like today this all is! Preachers preaching and people ignoring.
But who was right? This is where it gets frightening. This world will not just continue on. The Lord speaks about the days of the Son of Man being very similar to the days of Noah. We live in “last days”. The intervening of God in judgement is imminent. And yet people just carry on as normal.
So I ask again who was right – Noah and the seven or the rest?
Look again at the Scripture: “…..Noah entered the ark, Then the flood came and destroyed them all.”
Now answer the question and ponder upon how you are responding to the preachers of righteousness.