Last Wednesday Nick Clegg, leader of the Liberal Dems called those who oppose the re-definition of marriage “dinosaurs”. He did so in the context of being completely contemptuous of those who are against same-sex marriage. See it here.
What are we to make of this:
- The rapidity with which the public consciousness on this issue has changed is astonishing. The prospect of same-sex marriage would have been overwhelmingly dismissed even ten years ago. Now to be thought of as opposing gay marriage is called ‘dinosaur-like’ by our Deputy Prime Minister.
- The complete lack of courtesy towards those who hold a viewpoint which has held sway for hundreds of years is breathtaking.
- It emphasises now how there can be no rational debate on theses issues. To hold any view other than a pro gay marriage one is to be dismissed as a “dinosaur”. You are someone of the past who is totally irrelevant to the present. You are beyond contempt and not worthy of being reasoned with.
- The Bible is considered to be an irrelevance. It is considered a fossilised relic along with the dinosaurs. The teaching of the Bible that marriage is between one man and one woman for life is considered to be of no relevance.
- How sad these things are for our nation. Oh Lord have mercy. And yet the LORD stands supreme.
- These words from Psalm 2:1-6 come to mind. Men ultimately plot in vain. Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth rise up
and the rulers band together
against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,
‘Let us break their chains
and throw off their shackles.’
The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.
He rebukes them in his anger
and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,
‘I have installed my king
on Zion, my holy mountain.’
Man may vaunt Himself, but the LORD is in control.