Some thoughts on Syria.
- It seems to me that the UK government (and media as well) have been telling us for two years that Basher Al-Assad is a nasty man, but are never telling us why he is a nasty man.
- It seems to be that we have been told for two years that the the Syrian government is a nasty government but have never been told why.
- Mr Assad, to me, just does not seem to look like your archetypal maniac tyrant, such would be Hitler, Stalin. Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin and Mugabe for example. They look nasty. Mr Assad looks like anyone you might see going up to ‘The City’ of a morning and his wife comes from Acton. All normal kind of stuff.
- All weapons when used to kill are heinous. Chemical weapons have a particular vileness to them, but morally do they differ from other weapons?
- Whenever the West has invaded countries or meddled in countries in the Middle East over the last few years, it has always been harmful to the Christians. Iraq, Egypt and Libya tell us of situations where the outcomes for believers are far worse now than they used to be under Saddam, Mubarak and Gaddaffi respectively.
- And what of the believers in Syria now? What a wretched situation it is for them.
- If the West in the beginning had not provided moral support to the rebels, the uprising would all possibly have faded away in a few weeks.
- The so called “War of Terror” was all about fighting Al-Qaeda. Now the West are effectively supporting Al-Qaeda groups in Syria.
- Is the potential intervention over chemical weapons just the excuse the West has been looking for to get involved?
- Is there not evidence that the rebels have possibly used chemical weapons?
- Is getting rid of Assad all about reducing Russian influence in the Middle East?
I may be completely wrong, but these are just some observations. Oh LORD have mercy. Oh LORD, please Lord, overrule the ways of men for your glory.
And as I have written this, I feel something of a deflation musing on the ways of this world. Oh to return to the things of more substance: that which is of our mighty LORD God. Nevertheless, we do assert that our Lord is in control of all things.